- Text Size +

CHAPTER TWELVE

STRANGE RESCUE

Transmat 12
Gorbachev Complex
Moscow, Russia
November 2620

Jason opened the door to Transmat Room 12 and was relieved to find it empty. It had been ordered sealed and posted as being off limits, but that didn’t guarantee that some curious individual would not venture in anyway. Jason crossed to the controls, his eyes flashing over the readings. “Active again,” he muttered approvingly. “Well done, Doctor.”

He reset the controls, entering a long stream of information into the system, following the instructions the Time Lords had given him. Jason waited for the computer to register success before he finally set the time delay. He crossed quickly to the booth, returning to his true form at the same time.

After a few seconds, the transmat started to glow and in a blink, he was in the temporal corridor. Jason expected to be disoriented and was somewhat surprised when he wasn’t. He could see a light at the far end that he hoped was the booth the Major had described. The Lubyanka end. If he had done everything correctly, the corridor was now fixed at both ends, temporarily connecting the time zones.

Jason reflected on the centuries he was passing through in a matter of seconds as he moved toward the far end. Six centuries in about six seconds, and without the aid of a TARDIS.

Jason was very near his destination when, to his utter astonishment, he saw a humanoid female not far from the opening. To his added shock, he saw she was tied to what could only be described as a whipping post. The back of her dress was torn open, revealing her equally torn flesh, obviously the result of a beating. Possibly more than one. She was hanging limply from her bonds and Jason’s first thoughts were that she was dead. Then he wondered why his sensors had failed to detect her presence, and concluded that they must have been overwhelmed by the temporal energies surrounding him.

The woman did not appear to be wearing anything to protect her from the temporal forces within the corridor. Another shock. As Jason drew nearer, his sensors picked up the presence of a forcefield around the post to which the woman was bound. Could this be what had hidden her from his sensors? He cautiously moved in front of her, taking in her appearance at the same time. She was tall and slim, her long dark hair pulled over one shoulder. She wore unusual flowing garments that floated and twisted around her, moved by the temporal winds.

Jason saw a sight movement that verified this individual was still alive, if just barely. He reached out a tendril, gently brushing the hair from her face. Not to his great surprise, the instant she opened her eyes she gave a weak cry of terror and flinched back.

“Don’t be afraid,” he said calmly. “I’m not going to hurt you.”

The terrified woman did not seem to hear him. “If you’ve come to kill me, just do it,” she said in as defiant a tone as she could manage. “I’m not afraid anymore and I won’t help you.” She closed her eyes as if to brace herself for the inevitable.

Jason was taken aback by this. “I have no idea what you’re talking about,” he replied in as gentle a tone as possible. “And despite what my appearance may suggest, I’m not a monster. I’m an Alterran.”

“Alterran?” The woman opened her eyes and finally looked at Jason properly, recognition flashing across her face. “You really are an Alterran,” she said in a relived tone.

“Yes. I really am.”

“Will you help me?”

“Who and what are you?” Jason asked cautiously.

“My name is Muriel.”

What are you?”

“You can see what I am,” Muriel replied evasively.

“I see a humanoid female in a temporal corridor without any protection, yet unaffected by the ravages of time,” Jason said succinctly. “I repeat. What are you?”

“If I tell you, you may not help me.”

“I won’t help you unless you do tell me. How do I know you don’t deserve to be here?”

Muriel gave the Alterran a quizzical look. “Are you always this aggressive?”

“You call it aggressive. I call it cautious. And the answer is yes. I don’t exactly conform to my race’s norm.”

“I thought Alterrans were supposed to be—”

“This conversation is over,” Jason stated flatly and started to move away.

“Mythryn!” Muriel called out, causing the Alterran to stop short. “I’m a Mythryn!”

“Mythryn…” This was not the reply that Jason expected. Unlike the Time Lords, who had a strict code of non-interference, the Mythryn were the exact opposite. They were notorious for interfering with other races for their own amusement.

“I refused to change events on Earth.”

Jason found himself stunned a second time. Then he recalled her words before she even knew who and what he was. He wanted to press for more details but was uncertain as to how long he could remain in the corridor before his energy field would fail. “Look, I can’t stay in here much longer…”

“Please, don’t leave me!”

“I didn’t say I was going to.” As soon as he said this, Jason saw relief wash visibly over Muriel’s entire body. “How long have you been here?”

“I don’t know. Since I refused to change the timeline…”

“I didn’t think changing timelines mattered to the Mythryn,” Jason said condescendingly.

“Minor changes are one thing, but changing established history…”

Jason’s sensors flared. “Established history?” The current political climate was paving the way for… “Like the collapse of the Soviet Union?”

Muriel caught her breath. “Yes. How did you—?”

“I used to travel with a Time Lord. I know the implications of what you’re saying.”

“A Time Lord?”

“Yes. In fact, he’s supposed to already be at this end of the corridor,” Jason informed. To his surprise, the Mythryn said, “Good. Then he can put a stop to the interference.”

“That’s an odd remark coming from a Mythryn.”

Muriel gave him a small smile. “You’re not the only one who doesn’t conform to their race’s norm.”

“Touché,” Jason replied, his amusement creeping into his voice. “Is that why you were beaten?”

“Yes.” Muriel closed her eyes and gave way to an involuntary shudder. “I said I’d rather die than help him…terrorize the world. He didn’t believe me.” In a small voice, she said, “Nobody believes me.”

Jason thought a moment, only to realize that there was no way he could leave Muriel in her present condition, even if she were lying through her teeth. As far as he could tell, she did not have the strength to do more than speak. She should have been struggling against her bindings when she first saw him, but she barely seemed to have the energy to flinch. “How do I turn off the forcefield?” he asked finally.

Muriel looked up sharply. “You’re going to help me?”

“Yes.”

“Do you believe me?”

Jason paused. “I don’t know,” he said truthfully. “I only know I can’t leave you like this. If I do, you’ll die and it will be my fault.”

Muriel was genuinely stunned. “You’re just…letting me go?”

“Not quite. You’re in no condition to go anywhere on your own.”

Muriel gave the Alterran a frightened look.

“I’m not going to hurt you,” Jason said mildly, an amused tone creeping into his voice again. “Nobody believes I’m not a monster, either.”

“Touché.” Muriel nodded toward a gray box near the base of the post. “That’s the control unit.”

Jason found the control switch and deactivated the forcefield. When he released the Mythryn from her bindings he had to catch her as her legs gave way. “You’re definitely in no condition to travel.”

“I’ll be alright once I’m out of here.”

“No you won’t, but I can deal with that. I’m a Healer.” Jason felt Muriel’s body sag and entwined her completely, lifting her off her feet.

Muriel marveled at him a moment. “You haven’t even told me your name.”

“Jason.”

“Of?”

Again, the Alterran’s sensors flared. “Sorry?”

“You have blue eyes. That means you’re a member of the Royal Bloodline. You must have at least one title to go with your name.”

Jason sighed heavily. “Actually, I have a fistful of titles. Would you like to hear them all?”

“Which is the most prominent?”

“Crown Prince of Tel-Shye.”

Muriel gave a startled squeak. “You’re related to the Emperor!”

“Yes, I am. I didn’t realize it was common knowledge among the Mythryn,” Jason remarked. He stretched a tendril toward the exit shimmering a short distance away. “Is it 1987 on the other side of that?”

“Yes.”

Jason moved closer, looking through the portal into the apparently empty room beyond. He saw the wall full of dials the Major had described during their briefing. “Good.” So saying, he turned and started back the way he came.

“Wait, aren’t you going through?”

“Not yet. I have a couple of friends to take back with me. I was just making sure the corridor was locked.” Jason paused before adding, “Just relax. I’ll look after you.”

“I think I’m dying.”

“Not if I can help it.”

Before Muriel could think of a suitable reply, she saw the opening to the transmat room and tightened her grip. “I don’t think I have the strength to make it through.”

“You’re protected by my energy field. I can get us both through,” Jason replied calmly. “Just hang on.” A moment later, they were passing though the portal and materializing in the transmat room.

“You did it!” Muriel cried out, hugging the Alterran.

Jason exited the booth and then returned to his human form, Muriel still in his arms. “Now, let’s get those injuries seen to.”

Muriel laid her head on Jason’s shoulder. “Thank you, Healer Jason, Crown Prince of Tel-Shye,” she said quietly, wiping a tear from her face.

“You’re welcome, Muriel, Mythryn of the Time Corridor.”

Muriel smiled and closed her eyes. When she opened them again, she found herself in a strange room. She was completely naked and lying face down on a table. Something was touching her back and she caught her breath.

“Welcome back, sleeping beauty,” came Jason’s calm gentle voice.

Muriel turned her head, seeing the Alterran Prince beside her. He had some kind of device in his hand and she gave him a frightened look. “What are you doing to me?”

“I’m treating your injuries. What do you think I’m doing?”

“I don’t…” Muriel rubbed her eyes. “What happened? Where am I?”

Jason pulled the sheet covering his patient’s lower body up over her back and sat down beside her. “You passed out. And you’re in the sickbay of my shuttle.”

“Sickbay?”

“I told you. I’m a Healer. You asked for my help, and I’m giving it,” Jason informed. “I’ve treated your injuries and patched you up as best I can. Now all you have to do is rest.”

“That’s it?” Muriel said suspiciously. “No catch?”

“Well…” Jason gave her a small smile. “Kind of a catch. Don’t tell anyone that I’m the one who got you out.”

Muriel frowned. “Why? Are you ashamed that you helped me?”

“Actually, I was thinking you might have more leverage against whoever put you in there if they thought you had the power to escape on your own.”

The Mythryn gave the Alterran a startled look. “You have my word, your royal highness.”

Jason winced. “Please, Muriel, no titles. My name is Jason.”

“You saved me, Jason. I won’t forget it.”

Jason gave her a small smile and rose to his feet. “You rest. I have to get some things ready before I go meet my friend at the other end of that corridor.”

“Are you leaving me alone?” the Mythryn asked fearfully.

“Only for a few minutes. My pilot will look after you while I’m gone.” Jason gave her a steady look. “Will you be okay on your own a few minutes?”

“I think so.”

“You’re quite safe here, Muriel.”

“What about your friend? The Time Lord?” Muriel asked fearfully.

“What about him?”

“Are you…going to tell him about me?”

“No. I’m not sure he’ll understand.” Jason started toward the door, adding under his breath, “I’m not sure I understand.”

* * *

The Lubyanka
Moscow, Soviet Union
August 1987

The Doctor and Turlough were following a guard who had come to get them only minutes before Jason looked out into the now empty transmat room.

“This is something new, you say?” the Doctor asked as they moved deeper into the building.

“Yes, sir,” the guard replied. “The man was most insistent that the statue he was cleaning...” He paused, sighed, and said hesitantly, “He claims it…moved.

“Moved?” This was Turlough, who was beginning to wonder about the sanity of those occupying the Lubyanka. “You mean it just got up and walked around?”

“No. He said it followed his movements.”

“Like when the eyes on a painting seem to move?”

The guard threw a quick nervous glance over his shoulder to the Doctor. “You did ask to be notified of these occurrences…”

“Oh, yes, yes, you acted quite correctly, Corporal,” the Doctor said quickly, seeing relief wash visibly over the man’s face. He gave his companion a disapproving scowl. “Keep your scanner out,” he said sharply. “I’ve a feeling you’ll be picking up some readings when we arrive.”

* * *

ARGO Flight Deck
Hangar Bay 287
Moscow, Russia
November 2620

“Well, that’s all set!” Jason announced happily as he stepped onto the flight deck and clapped his hands together.

Eroica let out a startled cry, a hand going to his chest. The Major automatically reached for his weapon, which, fortunately for Jason, he no longer had.

Sully was the most vocal. “Damn, do you have to do that!”

Jason was taken aback. “Sorry.”

“I told you this ship is badly designed,” Klaus grumbled.

Jason rolled his eyes. “Fine. When we finish with the problems in 1987, you can come back and help Sully with his design of my new ship,” he replied in a petulant tone.

“He’s already been helping me,” Sully informed. “And so has Lord Gloria.”

Jason’s eyebrows went up. “You actually got these two to cooperate in something?”

“Security and thieving seem to go hand in hand,” Sully replied mildly.

Jason nodded absently. “I’ve got the time corridor locked. If you’re both ready, we can make the trip to 1987.”

Eroica threw a nervous glance over at the Major, who gave a shrug. “I suppose now is as good a time as any,” the thief replied.

“Good.” Jason turned to his pilot. “Sully, I need you for five minutes and then we’ll be on our way.”

* * *