- Text Size +

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

RETURN TO THE PAST

Transmat 12
Gorbachev Complex
Moscow, Russia
November 2620

Jason opened the door to the transmat room and held out a hand. “Here we are, gentlemen,” he said brightly.

The Major gave him a sideways glance before entering. He looked around the room, his eyes falling on the transmat booth. “That looks very much like the booth in the Lubyanka,” he said suspiciously. “Except this one actually has a door.”

Jason picked up the edge to his voice and sighed heavily. “Major, the design hasn’t changed in centuries.” He received a dubious look in reply. “Are we back to that again?”

“I’m not sure you’re ever going to convince him this is real, Jason,” Eroica said mildly.

The Major gave him a dark look. “Jason hasn’t given me reason to doubt him…”

“Yet,” Jason said the same time as the Major. His only reply was a long, steady look. Shaking his head, he crossed to the controls, his eyes taking in the readings. He gave a satisfied grunt when he saw the readings had not changed.

“I locked the temporal corridor at this end so it won’t fluctuate anymore.” He looked up, a serious expression on his face. “You’re sure you want to go through this again?”

You mean I have a choice? Eroica’s eyebrows went up. “What? Why?”

“Because I can’t guarantee that I’ll be able to protect you the whole time. And there won’t be any way of stabilizing your system at the other end.”

A panicked expression came to the Earl’s face. “But...how else will we get back?”

“The Doctor will be able to come get you once he knows where…er, when you are,” Jason informed.

“We’re going through,” Klaus stated flatly.

Jason met his steady gaze. “In that case…” He reached inside his jacket and pulled out the Major’s Magnum and shoulder holster, holding it out to the astonished officer. “I think you’d better have these back.”

“Have you had this with you all this time?” the Major demanded, taking the gun from Jason’s hand and checking over.

“Yes, actually.”

The Major’s eyes narrowed. “Then why give it back now?”

“Because that time corridor ends in the Soviet Union of 1987,” Jason replied calmly, handing over the ammunition that he was also carrying. “And I’ve seen how well you handle that thing.”

“Are you expecting trouble?”

“Inside KGB Headquarters?”

The Major nodded. “Good point.” He pulled off his jacket, putting the shoulder holster back on, a satisfied smile coming to his face. He had felt far too vulnerable with the weapon missing. “Will it still work properly after going through that thing?” he asked as he put his jacket back on.

“I don’t see why not.”

“I would prefer to test it before having to use it again.”

“No time, I’m afraid.” Jason’s looked over the readings. “Oh, and just so you know,” he said without looking up, “I’m going to have to revert to my true self when we do this.” He finished his entries and finally looked up. “That’s not a problem, is it?”

“Not if it gets us back to 1987,” Klaus replied firmly.

“Then I suggest you both step inside.” He waved a hand in the direction of the transmat booth. “I’m setting a time delay so I’ll have enough time to increase the size of my energy field.”

Eroica pulled open the door and gave the interior of the booth a dubious look, “I could always wait here with Sully,” he said mildly. He hesitated on the threshold too long and was shoved inside by the Major.

“Just get in, idiot,” the officer growled.

“Alright, alright. I’m going,” Eroica protested. He then turned to Jason. “It appears I’ve decided to go with you.”

Jason had to fight not to laugh. He activated the system and went quickly to the transmat, returning to his true form as he crossed the room. He pulled the door shut and carefully entwined the two men. “You may feel disoriented,” he said warningly.

“I don’t think I needed to know that,” Eroica said, adding quickly, “And don’t you dare say it’ll be over soon.”

“How about…it’ll be over before you know it?” Jason replied.

“Worse.”

The booth started to hum and Jason tightened his grip slightly. “Just hang on,” he said as the interior started to glow.

“To each other?” Eroica asked brightly, turning a dazzling smile in the Major’s direction.

The Major replied in predictable fashion. “Keep your hands to yourself, you pervert, or I’ll test my gun on you.”

Before Jason could think of a suitable response, they were in the temporal corridor. The swirling energy within the corridor was stronger than he anticipated and immediately overwhelmed his human passengers, knocking them senseless. He increased the strength of his energy field before he moved steadily toward the far end. The Lubyanka end.

* * *

The Lubyanka
Moscow, Soviet Union
August 1987

The scanner in Turlough’s hand started squealing for attention so suddenly that the young man almost dropped it. He looked down at the device in shock and then back up at the Doctor. “It’s never done that before!”

The Doctor took the scanner from his companion, made a quick adjustment, and handed it back. “Here, now you should be able to track where it’s coming from.”

Turlough gave him a dubious look. “Great. More ghost stories,” he muttered as he left the room.

* * *

The Time Corridor
Between Moscow of 2620
And Moscow of 1987

Jason passed the post that Muriel had been tied to, seeing it unchanged. The bindings were still in a heap on the ground, the control unit just as he’d left it. Hopefully, this meant that Muriel’s captor had not yet learned she had escaped.

In less than a minute, the Alterran was passing though the portal and into the prototype transmat in the Lubyanka. He exited the booth, carefully laid his passengers on the floor, and returned to his human form. He checked his friends over, a satisfied smile coming to his face as he verified that they had come through this journey along the time corridor unharmed. Rising to his feet, he crossed to the door and listened a moment, giving a nod of satisfaction. All was quiet.

Jason heard a low moan and turned, seeing the Major stir. He had barely returned to the officer’s side when he came awake all at once, his green eyes snapping open. Jason watched in fascination as the Major’s body tensed. He looked around, seemed to get his bearings, and then turned his intense gaze upward.

“Was ist los?” Klaus asked, switching back to English with his next sentence. “Is this the Lubyanka?”

“Yes.” Jason pulled the officer to his feet. “And before you ask,” he said quickly, “you’ve been unconscious less than a minute. There wasn’t anyone here when we materialized. And I haven’t heard a sound from out in the hall.”

The Major nodded approvingly at this concise report of the facts. Jason was definitely not the frivolous boy he had once known. He had matured. A change for the better, as far as Klaus was concerned, especially since he was currently the one in command.

Eroica gave a low groan and opened his eyes, a hand going to his head. “That was bloody awful,” he moaned.

“Don’t start whining,” the Major snapped impatiently.

Eroica sat up slowly. “Don’t start with me, Major. I’m too hungover.”

Jason helped the thief to his feet. “You’ll be okay in a minute or two. Your system just needs time to normalize.” To his own surprise, he suddenly felt very dizzy and put one hand against the transmat booth to steady himself, his other hand going to his head. This didn’t happen when I brought Muriel through. Why should it happen now?

The Major was at the door listening for any sounds of activity. To his relief, all was quiet, just as Jason had reported. He turned back to issues another insult and saw the Prince wavering on his feet. “Hey!” Waving a hand, he called out, “Lord Gloria, catch him!”

“What?” Eroica had only a second to register what was happening. He managed to catch Jason as he collapsed against him and gently laid him on the floor. “Bloody hell, Major. We’ve killed him.”

The Major was across the room and kneeling beside Jason in a blink. He put his fingers to the Alterran’s neck, finding a steady pulse. “Don’t be an idiot,” he snapped, trying not to show how worried he was himself. The unconscious Alterran moaned at that moment and the officer gave Eroica a steady look. “Dead men don’t breathe.”

Now do you believe him, you thickheaded Prussian?” Eroica snapped angrily. “Or does he have to die first!”

“Shut up! And don’t start fawning over him again!”

“I’m not fawning!”

“Maybe I should just turn you over to the KGB for reeducation. See if a few thousand volts to the groin will turn you on.”

Eroica’s face darkened in anger. “That’s not bloody funny, Major. Now you’re just trying to scare me.”

“Why do you think I keep telling you to stay out of my business?” the Major shot back. “You couldn’t last ninety seconds in the dark.* How long do you think you’ll last with the KGB?”
* Emperor Waltz

“You’re all a bunch of blood sadists, do you know that? The whole lot of you.”

The Major’s angry retort was forestalled by the sound of a voice coming from out in the hallway. His head snapped around, his body tensing. “Scheiße!” He was instantly on his feet, gun in hand. “Don’t move,” he ordered.

“Where the hell am I gonna I go?” Eroica whispered back bitterly.

“Shh!” the Major hissed through his teeth as he crossed to the door. He hit the light switch, plunging the room into darkness. The only light came from the interior of the transmit booth, which Eroica and the unconscious Jason were currently beside.

As Eroica looked down at the Alterran’s motionless form, it suddenly struck him that their protector was now the one in need of protection. Would they be able to provide it? One look at Iron Klaus standing like a coiled spring beside the door, Magnum in hand, was confirmation enough that the answer was a resounding yes. The next person to step through the door was in for a very nasty surprise.

* * *

Turlough moved quickly down the corridor, his eyes fixed on the scanner in his hand. “It’s getting stronger!” he called, not even bothering to look back to see how far behind the Doctor was. He knew the Time Lord would catch up eventually.

The needle nearly jumped off the scale as Turlough passed the room containing the prototype transmat. He stopped dead in his tracks and scrutinized the reading. Moving the scanner back and forth to make certain he had located the source. “I’ve found it!” he called, hearing a vague reply echo back at him. “I said I found it!” he called again.

Not waiting for the Doctor to arrive, he opened the door, his eyes still fixed on the scanner. He reached in to turn on the lights, receiving the shock of his life when his arm was grabbed and he was suddenly forced face down onto the floor. Then his arm was twisted painfully behind his back and someone very large and heavy was holding him down.

“Who are you?” his unseen assailant demanded.

To Turlough’s added surprise, the accent wasn’t Russian. “Let go of me!” he protested. To his horror, he felt want could only be the muzzle of a gun press against the back of his head and immediately stopped struggling.

“Verdammt, another Englishman,” Klaus muttered darkly.

“Not even close,” the boy replied coldly. “And you’re not Russian, either.”

“Who are you?” the Major demanded again.

“Turlough, as if knowing that will make any difference.”

“It makes a difference to me,” came the Doctor’s calm voice from the door. He reached in, turning on the lights and taking in the scene in some amazement.

The Major increased the pressure of his knee against Turlough’s back to keep him on the floor while he turned his attention, and his gun, in the Doctor’s direction. Now it was his turn to be amazed as he took in the Time Lord’s appearance. “Mein Gott, we’re not in the Lubyanka. We’re in a lunatic asylum!”

The Doctor stared at the man pointing the gun at him. Alive and well, indeed. He looked over at the Earl, his eyebrows going up. No one had mentioned that Dorian had also been in the Lubyanka. Or that he had accompanied Iron Klaus into the prototype. Then his eyes fell on the figure beside him. “Oh, no…”

“Who are you?” the Major demanded, bringing the Doctor back to reality.

“I’m not sure you’ll believe me even if I tell you,” the Time Lord replied calmly.

“Oh, bugger, not again,” Eroica moaned.

The Doctor gave the officer a steady look. “I would appreciate if you didn’t put a bullet into my companion,” he said coolly as he entered the room.

“So would I!” Turlough agreed wholeheartedly.

“I’d also appreciate,” the Doctor went on, “if you’d put the gun away. I’d rather not be the bull’s eye on one of your targets.”

The Major’s eyes narrowed. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“It means you’re a dead shot, Major.”

“Doctor, do you actually know this lunatic?” Turlough demanded from his place on the floor.

“Yes,” the Doctor replied.

“No,” the Major countered.

By this time, the Doctor was less than a foot away from the gun that was still leveled at his chest. “You are Major Klaus Heinz von dem Eberbach of NATO intelligence,” he stated evenly. “You’re also supposed to be dead.”

Klaus gave a snort at the last remark.

The Doctor nodded in Eroica’s direction. “That is Dorian Red Gloria, Earl of Gloria, also known as Eroica, an international art thief.”

The Magnum did not waver. “And you are?”

“I’m the Doctor.” The Time Lord’s voice hardened as he said, “Now do put the gun away.”

“This proves nothing.”

What happened next was a blur to the watching Eroica. The Time Lord gave a small sigh. Then his hands flashed up, taking hold of the weapon and pulling it from the astonished Major’s hand with conspicuous ease. The Doctor twisted his body, sending an elbow into the Major’s chest, knocking him off of Turlough and onto the floor. He ended up sprawled on his back, staring up at the Time Lord in astonishment.