- Text Size +

CHAPTER THIRTY

DESPERATE MEASURES

Transmat 12
Gorbachev Complex
Moscow, Russia
November 2620

The TARDIS had materialized just outside Transmat Room 12, much to the Doctor’s delight and Jason’s amazement. The Doctor double-checked the readings before pulling the door lever and leading the way out. Eroica threw a worried look in the Major’s direction before following.

Jason had returned to his true form to carrying the officer to the console room, Klaus having returned to his senses during the journey from the sickbay. Jason double-checked his patient’s status and the portable life support system attached to the blankets he was swaddled in before finally following the others.

The Doctor was standing before the door to the transmat room, Eroica beside him, when Jason finally exited the TARDIS with his precious cargo. Turlough remained behind to monitor the instruments, and, supposedly, to rest.

Just as Jason came up to the others, he felt a very strange sensation wash over him and actually faltered. The Major felt the Alterran’s grip on him slacken for a split second before it tightened again.

“You’re not gonna drop me, I hope,” Klaus said weakly. He, too, had felt a strange rush of energy but was more concerned with the Alterran carrying him. He scarcely had the strength to keep his eyes open. The last thing he needed was to be dropped to the floor.

“I’m alright now,” Jason replied.

“What happened?” the Doctor practically demanded.

“I don’t know,” came the confused reply. “It’s as if...time went out of joint for a second.”

The Doctor gave Eroica a steady look. “See if Turlough picked up anything.”

Eroica nodded and dashed back to the TARDIS, re-emerging a moment later. “He says there was a brief time spike, whatever that means.”

The Doctor frowned. “It could be from the time corridor,” he said thoughtfully.

“Doctor, can we worry about this later,” Jason broke in. “The portable life support unit only has a limited battery life.”

The Doctor nodded, opening the door to the transmat room. He crossed to the controls while Jason went straight to the booth.

“Well, that explains it,” the Time Lord remarked, looking up. “According to this, you’ve only just left. You must’ve felt the time differential.”

“That might explain why I passed out at the other end, too,” Jason replied. He carefully placed the Major in a sitting position on the floor before returning to his human form. He went on to check his patient’s condition once again. Klaus was deteriorating rapidly. “How are you holding up?” he asked quietly.

“About as well as the battery on this thing,” Klaus replied weakly, indicating the life support box.

Jason gave him a small smile, rewrapping him in his blankets.

“Jason, I think we may have a problem,” the Doctor said suddenly. “The three of you went through at once. The TARDIS can exclude your DNA from the buffer because of its silicon based composition. But it won’t be able to separate the others.”

Jason cursed under his breath.

Dorian looked from one to another. “What does that mean?”

The Doctor and Jason exchanged a knowing look. “It means,” the Time Lord replied calmly, “that either you both go through, or neither of you does.”

“You mean…the only way to save the Major is for me to go with him?” Eroica replied.

“That’s it in a nutshell, yes.”

“No.” This was Klaus, who surprised even himself with his vehement tone.

“Major…”

Nein. You’re a civilian. This has nothing to do with you.”

“Nothing to do with me if your death starts World War Three?”

The Major snorted. “I’m not that important.”

No? I didn’t sit around the whole time I was recovering,” Eroica informed startlingly. “I talked to Turlough about a few things. The TARDIS has a very interesting historical archive. Did you know that?”

The Doctor stiffened visibly upon hearing this and Jason threw a surprised look in the Time Lord’s direction. Oh, no…Turlough, what did you do?

“You don’t think,” Eroica was saying, “that every NATO country will take exception to your being murdered by the KGB after the General Secretary of the Communist Party guaranteed your safety in order to get you into the country?”

Klaus closed his eyes. “Lord Gloria…”

“No! Dammit, no.” Eroica squared his shoulders and crossed to the transmat booth. “I’m not gonna just let you die, Major,” he said forcefully. “Not if I can do something to prevent it.”

“You know what will happen if this doesn’t work,” the Doctor pointed out.

“I’d rather die with him than live without him.”

The Major groaned and rolled his eyes. “You idiot—”

Jason chose that moment to intercede. “Dorian, are you sure about this?”

“Yes.” Eroica turned his gaze to the Major, meeting his disapproving gaze. “There are things that I don’t want to remember, either.” And things that I do, but you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Klaus drew a deep breath and closed his eyes. Of course. Now the truth comes out. And I foolishly thought he was being selfless.

“Alright,” Jason said calmly. “There isn’t a lot of room in here, so you’ll have to support him.” He stopped the protests that he could see forming on Major’s face with a quelling look. “Klaus, we don’t have time for this,” he said firmly. He waved a hand, indicating where Eroica should sit, taking the box full of the Major’s belonging from his hand and placing it on the officer’s lap. Then he leaned the Major back against the Earl.

A small snarl of protest escaped the Major as Eroica snuggled up against him. Dammit! He’s gonna push this to the limit. Klaus clenched his teeth as the Earl gave a delighted sigh as he put an arm around him to keep him upright. Damn the fact he didn’t have the strength to sit up on his own.

“Oh, you should probably have this,” Jason said, holding out the Major’s Magnum. It was still in its holster and Eroica took it, placing it in the box, inwardly praying the officer didn’t have the strength to fire it. “How long will all this take?” he asked.

It was the Doctor who replied. “Five minutes, give or take.” Then to Jason, he said, “Go to the TARDIS and make sure we’re properly tied into the transmat controls. I’ll feed the information from the buffer to you. So long as the old girl has a sample of your DNA, she should be able to filter it out and send the corrected pattern back here.”

Jason nodded and shut the door to the transmat, making certain it was latched before leaving.

Eroica closed his eyes and drew a deep breath, leaning back against the clear wall of the interior.

Once Klaus got over his annoyance at having to be at such close proximity to the Earl, he realized the man was shaking. “You’re afraid,” he observed.

Eroica jumped when the Major spoke. His tone was calm and quiet. He looked down, seeing a strange searching look in the officer’s green eyes. “Of course I’m afraid. I’m bloody terrified.”

“But you’re doing this anyway. It can’t just be to forget what happened. And don’t tell me it’s for any noble cause, either.”

“You’re right, it isn’t.”

“Well…?”

“You know why, you idiot German. It’s because I love you!” Eroica snapped. “The world wouldn’t be bearable without you in it.”

Klaus sighed heavily. “Lord Gloria…”

“Yes, yes, I know,” Eroica snapped. “It’s foppish nonsense, and you hate me.”

A pause.

“I don’t hate you.”

Eroica blinked. “What?”

“Not after what you did at the bridge.* I couldn’t get mad at you then. And…I can’t seem to hate you anymore, either. God knows I’ve tried.”
*Emperor Waltz

Eroica’s mouth dropped open.

“You were right. I did tell them I was a friend,” Klaus went on. “You’re real pro. I admire you for that.”

“Who are you? And what have you done with the real Iron Klaus?” Eroica demanded. To his amazement, Klaus actually smiled. Smiled! “This is a hell of a time to tell me all this.” He looked up, as Jason returned to the room. When he looked down again, he saw a very strange look in the Major’s eyes. “Maj—Klaus, why are you telling me this now?

“Because in five minutes, we’ll either be dead, or we won’t remember any of it.”

Eroica blinked. Then he felt himself getting angry. “You bastard.”

Suddenly Jason’s voice came through a speaker in the ceiling of the booth. “If you two can stop arguing for a minute,” he said calmly, “we’re ready to try this.”

Eroica felt the officer’s body relax in his grasp and looked down. The Major had leaned back and closed his eyes, preparing himself for whatever lay in store. “So, we won’t remember?”

“No,” Klaus replied without opening his eyes.

“None of it?”

“Jason explained that. We won’t remember anything that took place after we arrived at the Lubyanka with him.”

The booth started to hum and Eroica gave a small sigh. “Then you won’t remember that I saw you naked.”

The Major’s eyes snapped open. “Was?

“Wherever did you get that scar on your hip?”

Klaus made a small strangled noise.

“And you won’t remember this.” So saying Eroica leaned down, gently cupped the Major’s chin in one hand, and kissed him on the mouth.

Klaus was too stunned to even move. He stared into Dorian’s face, having no idea what to do. And even if he did, he lacked the strength to carry it out. So he just lay there, allowing another man…no, not just another man. Allowing the Earl—Eroica—Dorian—Dammit! He was kissing him!

Dorian sat back, a look of triumph on his face. “My darling Klaus, you are wonderful!”

A split second later, the pair faded from sight.

Jason stood staring with his mouth agape. He turned back to look at the equally shocked Doctor. “If this doesn’t work, and they remember what happened, I’ve a feeling the Major will be using that gun I gave him.”