- Text Size +

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

AN IMPOSSIBLE SEARCH

Temporal Vortex
Where Time And Space Collide

Jason stood leaning on the TARDIS control console, his eyes moving from the controls to the scanner and back. “Come on, old girl,” he whispered encouragingly. “You can find him.”

Turlough threw an apprehensive look over at the Major and Eroica, seeing they looked equally dubious. He turned back to the Alterran and said calmly, “Jason, it’s a very big universe out there.”

“If the Doctor can find the TARDIS anywhere, she should be able to find him,” Jason replied logically, his hands manipulating the controls. “They’re telepathically linked.” He did not even look up as he spoke, and hoped his voice sounded more convinced than he was himself. It wasn’t just the universe. It was all of time and space that had to be searched.

A deafening silence followed.

Then the TARDIS gave a sudden lurch. A moment later, the room was filled with the sound of materialization.

“Well, we’ve arrived somewhere,” Jason remarked aridly. The image on the scanner was one of chaos. He adjusted the controls and the scanner slowly cleared to a solid image. An image that cause them all to stare in a horrified silence.

They appeared to have materialized in a large room. The far wall looked like it was made of a rubberized substance and had an enormous gash in it out of which was attempting to slither what could only be described as a gigantic red slug. There was a humanoid creature working at a terminal nearby that Jason suddenly realized was the alien they had been chasing. If this weren’t horrific enough, closer to the TARDIS was a platform with a chair in the center. It was enclosed on three sides, the front having a forcefield of some sort across it. Strapped to the chair, and with an appalling amount of hardware attached to him, was the Doctor.

“Mein Gott,” the Major said in a horrified whisper, finally breaking the silence.

“We’ve got to get him out of there,” Jason said with much more conviction than he felt, and quite unnecessarily, Klaus thought as he turned to him in amazement. “You have a plan?”

The Alterran’s eyes did not move from the screen. He shook his head helplessly. “I have no idea. I just—” He broke off, turning back to the control console. “Maybe the Doctor knows what to do.”

Turlough gave him a shocked look. “Jason, you’re not planning on going out there and asking him, I hope!”

Jason looked up sharply. “No. I’m trying to be serious.” He looked down at the console again, shifting position to stand in front of another panel. “That creature still may not know I’m telepathic.”

Eroica exchanged a look of mutual bewilderment with the Major. “And…” the thief prompted.

“And…” Jason replied as he placed his hands on two disks, “I might be able to communicate with the Doctor.”

“You know he’ll just tell you to stay in the TARDIS,” Turlough said knowingly.

“Yes. And he knows I won’t. So we’ll get that out of the way and then get down to finding a solution to this mess.” Jason drew a deep breath and closed his eyes. “Just pray this works,” he added before going completely still.

* * *

When the TARDIS suddenly materialized out of nowhere, the Doctor feared the creature had actually been able to make good on its threat to bring the time machine there itself. After several minutes passed and no one appeared, however, he relaxed. Obviously, the creature could not control those inside, as it had hoped.

Doctor…?

The Doctor scowled when the phantom voice suddenly sounded in his head. He thought he had been able to keep his mind shielded from his captor.

Doctor? Can you hear me?” the voice said, growing louder with each word.

Now what? the Doctor thought darkly.

Good. You can hear me!

The Doctor recognized Jason’s delighted voice a split second before the Alterran went on to say, “Doctor, it’s Jason. And before you ask, I’m using the TARDIS telepathy circuits to contact you.”

The Time Lord frowned, throwing a quick glance in the direction of his captor. The alien creature was still busying himself at the equipment and seemed oblivious to Jason’s telepathic presence. “What are you lot planning?” he practically demanded.

Nothing as yet.

Good. Keep it that way.

Doctor, I’m not going away. And I’m not staying in the TARDIS forever,” Jason said firmly. “I’m coming out there.

Jason, you don’t even know what this thing is after.

I am aware of that, Doctor. Why do you think I’m contacting you?

The Doctor closed his eyes and drew a deep breath. He did not have the energy for an argument, telepathic or otherwise.

Are you alright?” Jason asked suddenly. “You look exhausted.

I’ve been better.

Jason felt his temper flare and fought to control himself. “Doctor, just give me a quick rundown. If I can’t handle it, I’ll call the Time Lords.

You might not be able to.

Fine. If this turns out to be hopeless, I’ll hit the button that must never be pressed and seal off this section of the vortex.

The Doctor’s eyes snapped open upon hearing this. Clearly, Jason knew more about the severity of the situation than he had given him credit. He drew another deep breath and then concentrated his thoughts, telling his former companion what he could of the alien’s plans.

* * *

While Jason carried on his telepathic conversation, the others waited impatiently for the verdict.

“This is getting us nowhere,” the Major growled, throwing his hands in the air.

“Major, you can’t possibly think we’re prepared to handle this,” Eroica objected.

“Did I say that we were?” Klaus snapped back.

Eroica flinched. “No. I just—”

“What? You thought I’d just go charging out there with no plan?”

“Well, yes. That is what you do.”

The Major’s eyes narrowed. “Let me tell you something you may not realize, Lord Gloria. In a dangerous situation, I think before I act.”

“I’m very glad to hear that, Major.”

Klaus actually jumped when Jason suddenly spoke and he turned sharply to face him.

“The last thing we need is to go charging off without a plan,” Jason said calmly.

“And you have one, I take it?”

“Of a sort. According to the Doctor, our unfriendly alien out there has been working for, or with, that…slug thing that is presently trying to get through a weak spot in the vortex. That’s what the TARDIS hit when we landed. A kind of…crack in space/time.”

“So…why does it want the Doctor?” Turlough wanted to know.

“Believe it or not, it wants complete control over Time.”

“What? Using the TARDIS, you mean?”

“No. It wants to physically control time.”

Turlough blinked. This was the last thing he expected to hear. “That’s impossible, even for a Time Lord.”

“You know that. And I know that. But try talking logic with a megalomaniac,” Jason replied calmly. “Apparently the alien is helping it because of the terror that will cause.”

Turlough glanced over at the screen and shuddered. “That makes sense. It scares the hell out of me.”

“Hear, hear,” Eroica replied.

Jason silently agreed before going on. “It’s draining the Doctor’s life force,” he said darkly. He looked over to the image on the viewer and added, “If we don’t get him out of there, he’ll die.”

“How do we get him out?” the Major asked practically.

Jason gave a small smile. “I’m going to create a diversion so you can take that cannon you’re carrying and blow a hole in the computer right…there.” He indicated the machinery on the scanner screen. “That should confuse things enough so that Dorian can get the Doctor out.”

Eroica’s eyebrows went up. “Me?”

“You’re the best thief in the business. I want you to steal the Doctor back.”

“How? He’s inside a box with a forcefield in front of it.”

“The Doctor believes it’s an exclusion field.”

“A what?”

Jason gave a small smile before explaining what he meant. He then asked, “You still have that pocket dimension the Doctor gave you, don’t you?”

“Why? What good will that do me?”

“If you hide in it, I can toss it through the exclusion field. That thing will think I’m just trying to annoy it and shut off the alarms, leaving you safely inside the containment grid. You’ll be protected against anything that system has to throw at you while you’re in there.”

Eroica pulled out the pocket dimension and gave it a dubious look. “You’re sure?”

“Absolutely. Don’t forget, insides and outsides are in different dimensions. The exclusion field filters out DNA.” Jason tapped the pouch. “This isn’t organic. No DNA.”

Eroica looked less than convinced. “And how do I get out again? I can’t exactly throw myself through while I’m inside.”

Jason’s eyebrows went up. This was a valid point that had not occurred to him. He reached into a pocket, pulling out a length of string, which he attached to the pouch. “There. If the security grid is still operational, the Major can pull you and the Doctor out using this.”

“The Major?” Eroica looked over at the equally startled officer.

“Yes. I’ve a feeling I’m going to be a tad busy by then.”

“Why don’t I just put a bullet into that slug instead?” the Major asked bluntly. “It would be easier.”

Jason cleared his throat. “Yes, I’m sure it would be,” he replied mildly. “But we’re inside a pocket of reality inside the vortex, Major. That slug whatever-it-is has created a small haven inside that…chaos so it can squeeze itself through. I don’t know how it’s keeping it stable. And neither does the Doctor.”

“In other words,” Eroica added mildly, “don’t shoot it until we’re all back in the TARDIS, right?”

Jason could not help but smile at this. “Right.”

“I’ll keep it in mind,” the Major replied soberly. He looked at Eroica and frowned. “What are you waiting for?” he snapped impatiently. “Get in.”

“Major, I’ve been inside this thing before,” Eroica replied nervously. “It’s…enormous. I need something to loop over this button or I’ll never find my way out again.”

The Major looked into the pouch, his eyes widening. Enormous did not even begin to describe the interior. “What did you use before?” he asked, looking up.

“The chain on K-9’s dog whistle.”

“Here.” Jason took his TARDIS key by the chain and held it out. “Use this. Just don’t lose it.”

“Or steal it,” the Major rejoined as the thief took the key.

Eroica gave the officer a disapproving look. “Major…”

“Shut up and get in. We’re wasting time.”

“And what do I do during all this?” Turlough asked practically.

Jason gave him a steady look. “You have the most important job of all.”

Turlough scowled. “What? Hiding in here?”

“No. Making sure that thing doesn’t get into the TARDIS. Once we’re all out there, lock the doors. And if things go wrong…” Jason made an entry into the computer and then leaned down, indicated a small red button on the underside of the console. “Hit that.”

Turlough looked at the button and frowned. Why don’t I like the look of that?

“What will that do?” the Major asked.

“It will summon the Time Lords,” the Alterran announced. “They’re very protective when it comes to the power over Time. That’s why they got the Doctor involved in all this. Hitting that button means we’ve failed.”

“I’m almost afraid to ask, but then what happens?” Eroica asked hesitantly.

“They’ll seal off the tear in space/time and sterilize this portion of the vortex.”

What? With us in it?”

“Yes, with us in it. Us and that creature out there,” Jason stated flatly. “The Doctor is a Time Lord. He’ll let that thing kill him rather than reveal the secrets of time travel.” He turned to Turlough, adding seriously, “He’ll prevent himself regenerating if he believes that’s what it’ll take. I’m not willing to let that happen.”

“Jason…” Turlough said in a frightened voice.

Jason met his gaze levelly. “I’m trusting you on this one, Turlough,” he said firmly, having no idea how powerful these few words were.

Trusting me! Turlough thought, feeling his heart miss a beat. Oh, hell. Finally, somebody’s trusting me. Why did it have to be in this?

“Jason, I…don’t know if I can do that.”

“Then we’d better not fail,” the Major stated practically. He pulled out his gun, gave it a quick once over, and holstered it again.

“Always so stoic,” Eroica observed admiringly.

The Major saw a familiar amorous look creeping into the Earl’s eyes. “Keep your mind on your work, you bloody pervert. Now, get in.” He looked inside the pouch one more time before holding it out. When he looked up, his eyes locked with Eroica’s.

The Earl was momentarily stunned when he realized there was no anger or malice in the dark, green eyes looking at him. Is that admiration, Major? I’ll make you proud of me. Just you watch. He looped the chain from Jason’s TARDIS key over the button, going on to make certain he had a firm grip on it. “How will I know when it’s safe to come out?” he asked practically.

“I’ll signal you,” the Major replied. He watched in fascination as Eroica’s tall form vanished into the tiny pouch. “That’s a good place for you, thief.”

“I heard that, Major!”

“Good. Then you’ll hear my signal.” The Major looked over at Jason just in time to see an odd expression pass over his face. “What are you planning on doing as a diversion?”

Jason met the officer’s inquiring gaze and then took the pocket dimension from his hand. “To be honest, Major. I haven’t the faintest idea.”