- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer: Syx is at it again. I now have, in my hot little hands, the first six volumes of the wonderful manga Kizuna by the talented by Kazuma Kodaka. Published by Seiji Biblos and B-Boy comics. Info on From Eroica with Love can be found here. Info on Kizuna can be found here.

Spoilers: Um, Kizuna volumes 1-5! Then it diverges into Syx's happy land of AU  Pairings: Well now That would be telling!
Archive: Ask first, I'm very generous. Feedback is craved, feed my muses!

 

CHAPTER ONE:

Dear Sempai,

I know it's been a while since my last letter. I've been busy. Right now I'm writing from LA. My friends call it the Land of Yuppie Scum. Wolf, Roica, and I stopped in Frisco to check on Money-bags and Z. They're doing well.

I know you're worried about all the travel I do, but I'm okay, I promise. Did you get the gifts I sent? I hope you like them.

To answer you're last letter, I'm not ready to return to Japan yet. There's still so much to see. The people I meet have never heard of the Sagano family, they have no contact with the Yakuza. For the first time in my life, I'm just Kai.

I'm thinking about going to England next. Maybe visiting some castles. I'll send you pictures. Or maybe visit the Virgin Islands. Tell Enjoji to keep his hands to himself!

About Masa If you want you can tell him I'm doing alright. He doesn't have to babysit me anymore. I was just another responsibility for him anyway.

I have to go now, We're going to meet a few friends at a club in China-town.

Kai


Dear Ahou,

I'm still in LA. I'll send some gifts for you and Sempai. Maybe a few pictures. DON'T show them to Sempai! I mean it!

Jill-sama took them after Detective Orcott and I got released form the hospital. It wasn't anything bad, but I did get two black eyes. Orcott-san had four cracked ribs. Jill-san said we were lucky. The bastards deserved the beating though. There are strange things in China-town.

I stayed with Jill-san that night. She's a good cop. She understood the dreams, told me there was nothing wrong. What we saw would always remind me of what happened you know?

How is Sempai? Are you taking care of him? I have to go now, we're going to meet Count D and Leon-sempai at the club. Jill-san said if we were late she would be very upset.

Kai


Masa stared at his hands as the two letters were read to him. Ranmaru suggested sharing Kai's letters with his father and Masa soon after they started arriving. Postmarked from all over the world, and never from the same place. It was impossible to track the youth. Ranmaru would read his letter first, then leave to fetch tea for Sagano-san and Masa.

Enjoji had no intention of letting his lover hear the often biting words of his little brother. The tone changed from place to place. In the beginning, the letters held little of the joy forced into the letters to Ranmaru. They were sarcastic, angry, and dark. Filled with a sort of broken hearted sorrow that Enjoji could hear in the words.

The tone changed slowly, bring a little light as the boy made friends. The young men he traveled with were only referred to by the nicknames he gave them. Kai did not want to be found, and he wouldn't be.

Still the older brother carefully edited what he told in the presence of his beloved. Ran-chan would be horrified to learn that Kai helped the police track down a rapist in LA. Or that he and his friends helped NATO run an anti terrorism exercise. He was still having trouble envisioning Kai armed to the teeth, paint balling seasoned soldiers. Still the pictures were utterly amusing, particularly the ones of the Bonn office decorated tastefully in the Post-Apocalyptic, style.

He wasn't sure about what he felt. The brat was growing up, but Kai was also becoming so cynical, hard. His letters to Ran-chan were full of hope and laughter. Enjoji received held little of that joy. It was more of a dark, morbid humor.

It pissed him off. He wasn't the greatest brother he had no illusions about that. But his father and Masa managed to hurt Kai. Drove him to run and leave everything he knew behind to travel the world like some kind of modern day rurouni.

/Kai, you and I need to have a little talk./