- Text Size +

Chapter Eleven
When Alien Cultures Collide

The Doctor returned to the sickbay to find Eroica still keeping watch over the sleeping Alterran. “You really should get some sleep yourself,” he said concernedly.

“I’ve been sleeping here,” Eroica replied with a small smile. “He woke up a bit ago.”

The Doctor looked up sharply. “Did he? How did he seem?”

“He was worried about me, if you can believe it.”

The Time Lord nodded. “Yes, that would be just like him.”

“Why?”

The Doctor scowled and gave Eroica a bewildered look. “Because that’s the way he is. Jason is a Healer. It would never occur to him to do anything that would cause harm to another living being.” He paused, adding, “At least, so long as he keeps his temper.”

Eroica’s eyebrows went up. “Why, what happens then?”

“Have you ever seen a volcanic eruption? Hot lava flying everywhere?”

“Yes…”

“That’s what happens,” the Doctor said pointedly. “He calls his temper Mt. Jason. And believe you me, you do not want to be anywhere near him when he explodes.”

Eroica reflected on this and then started to laugh. “No wonder you keep trying to separate him and the Major.” He shook his head. “Sparks are already flying.”

“Yes. Your Major has no idea what he’s dealing with, and I’m sure he wouldn’t believe me if I told him. The only alternative is to keep them as far apart as possible.”

Eroica nodded, although he could not help but wonder how the scene would play out should Jason finally lose his patience. A sudden thought struck him and he looked up. “Doctor, where is the Major?”

The Doctor cleared his throat. “Well, he originally was arranging to have someone come get those KGB men that were taking pot shots at you and Jason. When I left him, he was screaming at someone about their incompetence and ineptitude in general and the inadequacy of the information given to him concerning this mission. There were a few other colorful phrases in German and other languages as well. I felt it was best to just let him have at it. He seems to enjoy a good rant.”

“You may have a long wait, Doctor,” Eroica observed knowingly. “He can go on for hours.”

The Doctor laughed at this. “I’ve met some strange people in my time, but your Major is one of the strangest.”

“Hear, hear,” came a quiet voice from the bed.

The Doctor looked down to see Jason smiling up at him. “You’re supposed to be sleeping.”

Jason shifted positions, realized there was no comfortable one and settled back onto his pillows. “Yeah, right. Like I can sleep with you two prattling on. Anyway, I’m hungry.”

The Doctor gave a small cry of delight. “Dorian, I pronounce this man cured,” he announced happily.

“I only said I was hungry.”

“Jason, you are always hungry,” the Doctor pointed out.

“Then I suggest we feed him,” Eroica said practically and started toward the door. He paused on the threshold, looking up and down the seemingly endless corridor on the other side. With all that had happened, he had forgotten where he was. The TARDIS was enormous, and if he went wandering around, he could very well get completely lost. Turning back, he said, “Perhaps you might point me in the right direction, Doctor.”

* * *

After Jason had eaten, he announced he was fit enough to heal himself and amazed Eroica yet again by transmuting, his injuries vanishing as quickly as they appeared. Within seconds, he was completely healed and the Doctor was removing the bandages to reveal health pink skin beneath.

“That would be a very useful skill to have,” the thief remarked longingly.

The Doctor and Jason exchanged a knowing look. “I could teach it to you,” Jason offered tantalizingly, adding, “but first you’d have to completely change your genetic makeup.”

Eroica gave him a sideways glance. “I’m guessing that’s not something I can have done in Amsterdam,” he said in a playful tone.

The Doctor gave him an amused look, recalling that at this point in Earth’s history, sex change operations were relatively new and very controversial. The center of the controversy was the city of Amsterdam, where most, if not all, of these operations were taking place. “Hardly,” the Doctor replied dryly. He drew a deep breath and then started toward the door. “I think I’d better check on the Major. See if he’s done chastising all of the free world yet.”

“I think I’ll stay here if you don’t mind,” Jason said mildly.

The Doctor smiled broadly, exchanging an amused look with Eroica. “Really? Willingly?” he said playfully.

Jason shot the grinning thief a sideways glance. “I think I’m less likely to kill Dorian with my bare hands,” he said truthfully. “Just come get us when Major Pain-in-the-Ass is ready to finish this mission.”

* * *