- Text Size +

Chapter Eight
A Mediterranean Mystery

The TARDIS materialized in a wooded area not far from the next target location. When the image was revealed on the scanner, the Doctor scowled. The large office building seemed an unlikely location for a rare piece of art, which he said to Eroica.

“I thought so, too,” Eroica replied. “That’s one of the reasons I didn’t target this piece. It’s easier to casually walk through an art exhibit than an office building.”

“Since when have you been afraid of attracting attention to yourself?” the Major snorted, blowing smoke in the glowering thief’s direction.

“What is this place, anyway?” Jason asked, hoping to curtail another argument cum screaming fit from the Major. “K-9?”

The automations sensors twitched a moment. “Inter-Global Research and Development facility. A subsidiary of several other corporations, Young Master.”

“Several?” This was the Major, who suddenly had a sneaking suspicion he knew why the bowl was in this facility. “What is the parent company?”

“Kelplov Global Bio-Electronics,” K-9 replied.

The Doctor actually laughed upon hearing this. “Someone is either very stupid, or is trying to be very clever.” Three blank faces looked back at him and he smiled broadly. “The company’s initials are K-G-B.”

The Major gave a startled noise and turned back to the image on the viewer. “If that is so, security will be much more sophisticated than in a normal office building.”

“Oh, I don’t think that will be a problem for K-9,” the Doctor replied airily.

“But will it be a problem for you, Eroica?” The Major turned to the thief. In a matter of seconds this mission had taken a very grave turn. His superiors had already royally screwed up this assignment by failing to inform him there were six radioactive bowls rather than three. He was supposed to keep them from falling into Soviet hands, only to learn that one was already in their possession. As he suspected there were nothing but incompetent imbeciles at NATO, excluding himself, naturally.

“Getting in is never a problem, Major,” the thief replied calmly. “It’s getting out again.” To Jason’s amazement, Eroica actually let the obvious double entendre go without so much as a sly look. My God, he really can be serious when he wants to be!

Eroica threw a quick look in Jason’s direction. “We’re going to need a map of the building and multiple escape routes if something goes wrong.”

Jason gave a small smile. “I’m sure the Doctor’s already worked everything out in his head. And I can already guess Plan B.

“Which is?”

“Improvise!”

The Time Lord grinned. “Indeed.”

While the TARDIS sensors scanned the building to find the component’s exact location in the structure as well as generate an accurate interior map, the Doctor laid out his plan. K-9 would disable the building’s alarm system. Jason and Eroica would enter, locate the component and return. In the event they were discovered, they would use any of the escape routes necessary to get out of the building. Should they be unable to immediately return to the TARDIS, they would rendezvous with the Doctor and the Major at a specified point several miles away.

“And just how are we supposed to get there?” Eroica asked pointedly. “On foot?”

The Doctor and Jason exchanged a knowing look.

“You’re a thief, idiot,” the Major snorted, waving a hand at him. “Steal something.”

* * *

Getting into the building, locating the bowl and removing it had been no problem. Just as Eroica predicted, it was the exit that proved difficult. When they tried to leave the room they discovered that the electric door, which had been no problem for the thief to open, had closed and locked behind them.

Eroica was attempting to open it again, but was having considerable difficulty.

“What’s taking so long?” Jason asked impatiently.

Eroica gave a low growl. “It’s different this side. There’re more wires than—” The thief’s blue eyes grew wide as he realized why. He was on his feet, dragging Jason to the floor before the Alterran knew what was happening. A split second later, the box and part of the wall exploded, covering them in a shower of sparks, dust and debris. The door jerked partway open and then stopped.

Jason had landed on his back and was looking at the smoldering remains of the entry pad in shock. “Bloody hell!” he cried angrily. “That could’ve taken your head off!” He tried to rise, only to realize the thief was still lying on top of him, the look in his eyes an odd combination of fear and…oh, no.

“Dorian, this is not the time for any of your nonsense. Now get off of me. We have to get out of here before half the Russian army shows up.”

Eroica gave him a look of mock rejection as he got to his feet. “So, this is the thanks I get,” he said in a petulant tone, tossing his mop of long blond curls over his shoulder and throwing dust everywhere at the same time. “I just saved you from being incinerated, you darling boy.”

Jason gave him a dark look as he got to his feet. “I wasn’t in danger of being incinerated, you lunatic, you were.” The injured look he received in response was genuine and he sighed heavily. “Oh, alright. Thank you.”

The thief’s face lit up and he smiled broadly. To Jason’s surprise, the next thing out of his mouth was completely serious. “Now that we’ve got that sorted, might I suggest we get the hell out of here.” So saying, he turned and squeezed through the door.

Jason scooped up the bag containing the component and then squeezed himself through the door. “Right behind you.” Eroica gave him a bright smile, his eyes dancing. “Dorian, don’t even think about it,” he snapped forcefully, although his face betrayed in own amusement. He had walked right into that one.

 “Too late,” the thief laughed, starting down the hallway at a trot.

Jason shook his head, but was prevented from commenting further when his incredible hearing picked up the unmistakable sound of booted feet tromping down a hallway some distance away. From the sound of them, they would not be some distance away for long.

“Dorian…”

“Yes, Darling?”

“Run.”

Jason was suddenly running full pelt. He took Eroica by the arm as he came up beside him, pulling him along. The thief was momentarily stunned that the smaller man could actually keep pace with him. In fact, he was out pacing him and he found he had to struggle to keep up.

By this time alarms were going off all over the building. They reached the rear door, discovering it was locked once again. “No time for finesse this time,” Jason said mildly and then shocked his companion by kicking the reinforced steel door open, leaving it hanging from its hinges at an odd angle.

The pair burst from the building, only to find more guards blocking their original escape route. Jason cursed under his breath, looked around and then headed in the opposite direction, still pulling the thief along with him. He hoped they could lose their pursuers in the darkness and adjusted his eyes to allow himself to see where he was going. He heard the sound of gunfire and threw a worried look over his shoulder, cursing in several languages at the same time. Great. Just shoot randomly into the dark. Brilliant tactic. Humans!

* * *

The Doctor and the Major were watching from the woods near the TARDIS. They heard the alarms go off and saw guards pouring out one of the doors, cutting them off from Jason and Eroica. A few seconds later, the pair burst from the building and ran in the opposite direction. The Major drew his weapon automatically but was prevented from using it by the Doctor.

“There’re too many of them,” the Doctor said quietly. He watched in trepidation as his Alterran companion vanished into the darkness, dragging Eroica along with him. Then he got to his feet. “Come on.”

“I would prefer to wait until I’m sure they haven’t been captured,” the Major replied obstinately.

“Suit yourself.” The Doctor headed for the TARDIS, adding casually, “I’m going to track them on the sensors.”

“What? How?” The Major was suddenly interested and followed the Doctor into the TARDIS.

“Jason’s a silicon-based lifeform,” came the succinct reply. “He’ll stand out like a sore thumb.”

* * *

At that moment, Jason was trying very hard not to stand out, hoping instead to blend into the darkness. It seemed to him that they did indeed have half the Russian army chasing them.

“You do know where you’re going, I hope,” Eroica said breathlessly.

“Away from them,” came the succinct reply.

“I gathered that.”

Their flight ended at the top of a sheer cliff. The triangular shaped landmass jutted out into a point. Jason didn’t realize until he was almost at the end that they had reached a dead end and skidded to a halt, having to use both hands to keep Eroica from tumbling over the edge. At the base of the cliff on Jason’s side were enormous boulders, the waves of the ocean crashing up onto them. On Eroica’s side, and further away, they could see the light from several bonfires on the beach. Someone was having a good time at least.

“That is a very long way down,” Eroica observed aridly. “Now what?” He threw a concerned look back the way they came. There was no way they could proceed forward and would have to backtrack. He could not see their pursuers, but could definitely hear them approaching. They would be upon them in seconds. He turned back to look at the beach party going on hundreds of feet below. “I hope you’re not suggesting that we jump,” he remarked, turning back to Jason, who met his gaze steadily. The Alterran’s eyes seemed to be glowing, and Eroica could just make out his set expression.

“Oh God, you are suggesting we jump!”

Another shot rang out, closer this time, and Eroica threw another worried look back over his shoulder. The next thing he knew, he being lifted off of his feet and was plummeting towards the rocks below.

* * *