- Text Size +

CHAPTER FIVE
THE PIED PIPER

When Klaus returned to the treatment room, he found the Earl sound asleep and nodded approvingly. At least without a memory the idiot did as he was told. He went back to the office that had been given to him as a room, hoping that the phones might be working. They were not.

The Sheriff appeared at some point in the afternoon and Klaus was able to get more information out of him. Power was being restored, the phone lines might be back in operation by that evening, and the National Guard was supposed to be on the way to assist with the clean up efforts.

The Major then informed the Sheriff that he had located the missing Earl.

“Damn, Major!” the Sheriff exclaimed. “You do good work.”

Klaus scowled but did not reply directly. “Is there a way of getting word to my superiors? I need to arrange transportation out of here.”

“You gettin’ tired of us already, Major?”

The Major resisted the urge to tell him that he was tired of them the moment he entered the man’s jurisdiction, reminding himself that he still needed his assistance. “I have a job to do, too, Sheriff.”

“Don’t you worry, Major. We’ll get you on your way as soon as the roads are cleared.”

This was not a promising response, but it would have to do. Klaus sighed heavily as the Sheriff strode off. He decided to have another cigarette before braving the crowded gymnasium again. Possibly two. Or even the whole pack.

* * *

Klaus flicked the butt of his eighth cigarette away, and turned back to the door to go back inside. He noticed that the noise level seemed to have gone down considerably. Hopefully, this was a good sign. Then he heard what sounded like a large group of children bursting into laughter.

Klaus entered and stopped dead in his tracks. On the far side of the room, he saw Dorian sitting in a chair in front of the bleachers that were occupied by dozens of children. He appeared to be telling them something that they found absolutely hilarious.

Martha was standing several feet away, and the bewildered Major crossed to her. “What’s that all about?” he asked.

“Haven’t you met Prince Charming, Major?” Martha grinned. “He’s quite the story teller.”

“Is he?”

“He had the men who brought him here in stitches last night,” Martha explained. “And the kids have all fallen in love with him.”

Klaus gave a derisive snort but did not reply. Martha returned to whatever she had been doing, leaving him to watch the Earl on his own. He moved closer to hear what he was saying and then his eyes grew wide as he heard a very familiar story being told as if it were a fairy tale.

“The Prince was very afraid of the Iron Man,” Dorian was saying, “but he had to rescue his true love lest they be devoured.” There were a few horrified gasps from the smaller children. “So the Prince decided to be very clever and outwit the Iron Man. He dressed in a uniform, just like the soldiers the Iron Man had and sneaked in—” He lowered his voice. “—very, very quietly.”

Dorian got to his feet and tip-toed back and forth, much to the delight of his now enthralled audience. He lowered his voice further and practically whispered, “Then the Prince sneaked up on the Iron Man…” He grinned as all the children leaned in closer to hear. He made a sweeping motion with his arms, stood up and said loudly, “And snatched his true love away!”

There was a chorus of squeals and screams in response to this. Dorian made a show of running away as he returned to his chair and pretended to drive. “Then the Prince jumped into his sports car and raced away.”

The idea of a Prince driving away in a sports car rather then riding off on a white horse was apparently quite hilarious. The children collapsed into laughter. Someone asked if they got away and Dorian’s face became very serious.

“Oh, the Iron Man doesn’t give up that easily,” Dorian said darkly. “Do you know what he did?” He looked from one to the other, seeing wide eyes and shaking heads. “He followed the Prince in a tank! No, no, don’t laugh. He really did! A great big, shiny piece of polished steel.”

Dorian was pretending to drive again, making a show of looking back at the tank. “The Prince swerved this way and that way as he tried to get away.” He rocked in his chair and almost overbalanced himself. “The Iron Man followed, shooting at the poor Prince and blowing some very nasty holes in the road.”

By this time, Klaus was controlling his temper with visible effort as he listened to the story of the Iron Man and the Prince. He seemed to be the only one not amused by the tale, which wasn’t surprising, since he had apparently been cast in the role of the villain. Lost your memory, indeed, you Goddamn bloody liar.

Dorian was telling of the chase that ended with a collapsed bridge and a stand off between the Prince and the Iron Man. “The Prince was sure the Iron Man would take them both prisoners,” he said in a hushed voice. “He was very angry because the Prince damaged his tank.”

Some of the children covered their eyes, while others squealed in horror. “What did he do?” a small voice cried.

“You’ll never guess,” Dorian said with a bright smile. “He asked the Iron Man to sing.”

“Sing?” came the incredulous reply. This was followed by a chorus of giggles.

“Yes. The Prince knew this would lull the Iron Man into a trance, because his one weakness was that he loved to sing.”

“What did he sing? What did he sing?”

Dorian sat back, a bewildered look on his face. “Um…I don’t know.” The children persisted, demanding to know what the Iron Man sang and the Earl suddenly felt overwhelmed.

“You don’t remember the song?”

Dorian turned sharply at the Major’s quiet inquiry, seeing him standing directly behind him. “It’s only a story, Major,” he said helplessly.

“Is it?” Klaus replied cryptically.

“Major, I…”

“Tell them he sang das Panzerlied—” The Major broke off, translating, “The Tank Song.”

Dorian gave the officer a confused look and then nodded, turning back to the children. “Quiet, please.” He motioned with his hands. “The Major has very kindly reminded me that the Iron Man sang The Tank Song for the Prince.”

This was met with more laughter followed by demands to hear the song.

“Oh, dear, I was afraid of that,” Dorian remarked quietly. He looked back at the Major. “You wouldn’t happen to know if there really is a Tank Song, would you, Major?”

The Major’s eyes narrowed. “Iron Klaus does not sing for whiny brats, Lord Gloria,” he stated flatly.

Dorian’s eyes widened. Iron Klaus! Iron Man. Oh God, no wonder he looks so annoyed. “It will shut them up,” he said at last.

Klaus gave a low growl. “Fine.” Lost memory or not, I’ll get you for this, Eroica.

Again, Dorian shushed his audience. “Now, children, if you’re very quiet, and ask very nicely, the Major might be good enough to sing The Tank Song for us.”

There were gasps and giggles from the children. Dorian moved to the bleachers and sat down, motioning for quiet. Then in a whisper, he said, “Now, what do we say to the Major?” He put his finger to his lips at the same time.

All the children mirrored the Earl, putting their fingers to their lips before whispering out, “Please.” Some of them fell against Dorian, who gave them a playful shove and continued to grin like a fool.

The Major watched this performance in a stunned silence and found himself wondering if the Piped Piper had spirited away the children of Hameln in the same manner.

Finding himself committed, Klaus drew a deep breath and grudgingly sang the three verses of das Panzerlied that he knew. When he finished, he received applause not just from the children, but also from the adults who were watching nearby. He fought to keep his temper, giving the Earl a steady look. “Then what happened?” he asked coldly.

Dorian had to struggle to remember where he was in story. “Uh…then…then…Oh! Yes, of course. Then the Prince and his true love were able to escape.” He was still looking at the Major in amazement.

“Then what happened?” a child beside him asked.

Dorian turned sharply and grinned, getting to his feet. “You know how all fairy tales end,” he said, holding out his hands.

As one, the children all replied, “And they all lived happily ever after!”

“Exactly!” Dorian smiled and gave a theatrical bow before the applause of his appreciative audience. When he turned, he saw the Major still glaring at him. “Thank you for your help, Major,” he mildly. “I got quite muddled, didn’t I?”

“Martha tells me you are quite the story teller,” Klaus informed.

“I’m talking nonsense,” Dorian replied sullenly.

This took the Major by surprise. Wasn’t he supposed to say that?

“I don’t remember anything, so I talk gibberish. People seem amused by it.”

Klaus continued to study the man’s bewildered expression. “Have you eaten?” he asked suddenly.

“Only breakfast.”

“No wonder you can’t think.” Klaus turned on his heel and started across the room. “Come,” he said and led the way to the cafeteria.

Lunch had already been served and the volunteers were making preparations for dinner. There were still a few people sitting at some tables when the Major led Dorian in.

“Not much left, Major,” one of the volunteers called out, waving a hand to the end of a counter.

“Thank you,” Klaus replied politely. “We’ll manage.” He turned to Dorian, seeing the same lost expression on his face. “Now what?”

“Um, I know this will sound ridiculous, but…I don’t know what I like,” Dorian replied helplessly.

The Major’s eyes widened. Then he looked at the counter. “Here, stick with fruit.” He handed the Earl several pieces of fruit and resisted the urge to comment on the choice being appropriate. “And tea.”

“Tea?”

“Yes, you bloody Englishman, you drink tea!”

Dorian could not help the small smile that came to his face. This was the first thing the officer had said that actually sounded…right. It felt so familiar having the man yell at him. Did that mean they really were enemies? Then he looked at the objects the Major was placing in his hands. “You don’t expect me to eat one of everything, do you?”

The Major gave him a sideways look as he selected an apple for himself. “You idiot,” he muttered as he turned to lead the way to a table.

Dorian followed the Major and took a seat, watching in silence as the officer pulled out a pocketknife and cut up his apple. He started to peel an orange and drew a deep breath. “You don’t like me, do you, Major?” he said finally.

Klaus looked up sharply, the remark taking him completely off guard. “Why do you…?” he began, only to stop. “No.”

The directness of the reply startled Dorian and he gave the man a searching look. “Then why…” He put a hand to his head, uncertain how to proceed. “Why are you bothering to look after me?”

“Because I was ordered to.”

“What?”

“Lord Gloria, the reason we’re in this country is classified. The fact that you don’t remember that doesn’t change anything. I’m responsible for seeing that you get out of this country safely. Until that happens, my personal feelings are secondary.”

Now Dorian’s head was really spinning and he closed his eyes. “I don’t think you should tell me anymore.”

“Fine.”

The Earl was clearly overwhelmed and Klaus sighed heavily. “Eat,” he said calmly. “You’ll be no use to anyone if you pass out.”

Dorian nodded and continued to peel the fruit. “I’m sorry for being such a nuisance to you, Major.”

A small smile curled the edges of the Major’s mouth. “Someday, Lord Gloria, I’m going to remind you that you said that.”

* * *