- Text Size +

CHAPTER ELEVEN
MY NAME IS DORIAN

The Major paid no attention to the Sheriff’s deputy who had arrived to round up the group that had been menacing Dorian earlier. Once he had all the luggage outside the building, he dragged out a chair and sat down to wait, pulling out a cigarette.

“Martha tells me you’re leavin’ us, Major,” the Sheriff said conversationally.

Klaus looked up at the man and sighed heavily. Now he’s going to give a goodbye speech, he thought darkly. “Yes.”

The Sheriff gave a small chuckle. “Sendin’ a helicopter for you?”

“Yes.”

“Good. I want those morons to see I don’t ask just anyone to act as security.”

The Major frowned, turning to see the five men lined up beside a patrol car. “What are you gonna do with them?”

“I think a night in jail will teach ‘em to think twice before pushing somebody around in my county.”

Klaus gave a disgusted snort. “A slap on the wrists,” he said disapprovingly.

“It’ll get them into the system, Major,” the Sheriff said knowingly. “And I’m gonna make sure they know we’ll be watchin’ them from now on.” He threw a quick glance back at Dorian, who was just inside the door getting another hug goodbye from Martha. “I don’t tolerate hate crimes in my jurisdiction.”

“JT, are you making an election speech out there?” Martha called with a grin. “You already know you’ve got my vote.”

“Ha!” the Sheriff snorted. “Family don’t count.”

Dorian had stepped out the door and exchanged an incredulous look with the Major. “Family?”

“Didn’t she tell you she’s my baby sister?” the Sheriff asked with a grin.

“I’ll baby sister you!” Martha said playfully.

The Major rolled his eyes and was saved any further sibling altercations by the arrival of the helicopter. He got to his feet the moment he heard the sound of the rotor blades and walked out to the open field beside the building to watch for it.

Several minutes later, a twin-blade helicopter was landing beside the high school, much to the approval of the assembled evacuees. The side door slid open and a man in a jump-suit hopped out and crossed to the Major, giving him a quick salute.

“Major Eberbach? I have orders to deliver you and a civilian back to base.”

“The civilian is over there,” the Major replied. “And I have some bags that need to be loaded.”

“I’ll take care of that, sir,” the man replied. “You just get your party onboard.”

The Major nodded approvingly as the man loaded the luggage. He returned to the others, waving a hand at the Earl. “Lord Gloria, time to go.”

“Major…” the Sheriff said calmly.

Klaus turned, seeing him holding out a hand.

“Thank you for your help.”

The Major looked at the extended hand, sighed, and shook it. “You’re welcome,” he said tersely. Then he turned on his heel and strode off, leading the way to the waiting helicopter.

“Now, I’ll bet that hurt,” Martha said under her breath. Then she gave Dorian a shove. “Go on before he leaves you behind.”

Dorian grinned and then started after the Major. He was halfway to the helicopter when he stopped dead. Then he stood staring as if mesmerized.

When Klaus realized the Earl wasn’t following, he gave a low growl and went back to him. “Lord Gloria! Come on! We’re leaving.” He had to shout to be heard over the sound of the rotor blades.

Dorian gave the Major a dull look, his eyes glassy. There was something about the wind that had his head spinning. The dust in his face. The Major yelling over the noise. Then Klaus held out a hand and it all snapped into focus. Suddenly he was back in a farmhouse running for his life, grabbing onto the officer’s outstretched hand and hanging on for dear life.

Wind. There was so much wind. So much noise.

“What’s my name?” the Earl asked suddenly.

The Major blinked. “What?”

“My name.”

“God dammit, Eroica, this isn’t the time!”

“No, Major! Tell me! What’s my name? My first name.”

“Dorian!” the Major thundered back.

Dorian. Yes, my name is Dorian. Eroica looked at the Major’s bewildered expression and his eyes lit up. I remember, Major! You called my name.

Suddenly, the Major had him by the arm and was pulling him across the field. “This isn’t the time to freeze up! Let’s go!” he growled.

“Major!” Dorian said excitedly.

“Not now!” Klaus snapped. “And keep your head down.” He shoved the Earl into the open door of the helicopter before climbing in himself. He looked up, seeing the Sheriff and Martha standing beside the building, waving. Good riddance, he thought as he slammed the door closed.

He turned back, seeing the Earl had gotten into a seat and was strapping himself in. He nodded approvingly and called to the pilot to take off as he dropped into a seat opposite the Earl. A moment later, they were lifting off.

The Major leaned back and closed his eyes, heaving a sigh of relief. He felt like he was being evacuated from a war zone rather than from a civilian building. After a minute, he opened his eyes and pulled out a cigarette. Then he noticed the Earl was watching him with a very familiar look in his eyes.

“You fucking bugger,” Klaus snarled. “You remember, don’t you?”

Eroica gave him a knowing smile. “Yes.”

“When?” the Major demanded.

Eroica held up his hands. “Just now.”

“How?”

“The helicopter, Major,” he said mildly. “All the wind. Just like that day…” He closed his eyes and gave way to an involuntary shudder.

Klaus sat back, his arms folded, the dark look on his face unchanged, the smoke from his cigarette forming a storm cloud above his head.

Eroica opened his eyes and gave the officer a bright smile. “You’re quite the knight in shining armor, aren’t you, Major?”

“I wouldn’t know,” the Major replied coldly.

“Oh, I would! I can’t wait to tell everyone how you came to my rescue.”

“You’ll do no such thing, you son-of-a-bitch!”

Eroica made a show of pushing his hair out of his face. It was so marvelous to finally have his memory back along with this newest insight into the Major’s personality. It was just too wonderful to let go without teasing him just a little bit. “Major, really. You don’t want me to tell everyone how macho you were with those rednecks?”

Just the thought of the idiots made the Major’s skin crawl. “No.” Then a sudden thought struck him and an evil smile curled the edges of his mouth. “Alright,” he said mildly. “You tell them. Then I’ll tell them how you were surrounded by a harem of fawning females.”

Eroica’s mouth dropped open. “Major, you wouldn’t!” he gasped.

Klaus sat back and puffed on his cigarette. “I’ll have to make sure I tell them about Prince Charming and your story telling, too,” he went on, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. “And how much you enjoyed drinking beer with those rednecks…”

Eroica held up his hands in mock surrender. “Alright, alright,” he said quickly. “Truce?”

Another smile curled the edges of the officer’s mouth. “Truce.”

“Shake on it?”

“Don’t push it.”

Eroica grinned. “I’ll accept a cigarette, then.”

Klaus gave him a suspicious sideways glace before handing one over and lighting it.

The Earl sat back in his seat, looking out the window. After several minutes, he said seriously, “Before we get back to business as usual, there is one thing I’d like to say to you, Major.”

The Major’s eyes narrowed suspiciously. “What?”

Dorian gave him a steady look and smiled. “Thank you.”

— END —