- Text Size +
B raised both of his fists into the air in a triumphant gesture. "I am not the last one here!"

A chuckle ran through the small crowd of Alphabets as J and Z moved over to make space for him at the small table. "New guy's late - he's picking up the tab," Q stated, gesturing for the waitress to come over.

"Poor A." B didn't sound sorry in the least. He was so giddy, he had to restrain himself from slapping the busty brunette on the ass as she hurried over to take their order. "A round of your finest for everyone, my dear girl!"

"What kept you so long?" asked Z, lighting up another cigarette before offering the box to B. "And where's the kid?"

With a shrug, B pulled a stick out for himself. "He said that he would be here. They sent him to the city hall at lunch to work, but he was gonna meet us here at 5:30."

"More the pity for- There he is!"

"You lose, A! Last man in gets stuck with the bill, buddy." B partially rose from his chair to give the dazed-looking new agent a slap on the arm. "You gotta learn that in this business, being slow will get you in trouble."

"Huh? Oh - thanks." He accepted a chair from one of the others and nearly missed as he sat down.

Z frowned at him. He had taken the young pup on as a sort of personal project. The others would ruin him if given the chance. He felt obliged to spend his final months in the service keeping an eye on the man who would be his replacement. Although, it looked as if the young blond would do himself in - by his own hand no less - if he weren't careful. "Are you okay?"

"Perfect..." A dopey expression softened A's face as he smiled. "Just perfect."

Every agent at the table leaning in and waited somewhat impatiently for further explanation to come. When nothing more was forthcoming, Q demanded, "Out with it, man! What's happened to you?"

The young agent looked up at the half dozen faces staring at him as if noticing them for the first time. "Hm?"

A laugh rose up from around the table at his reaction. The waitress returned with a tray of glasses and a pitcher. Reaching out, B passed the first mug to A and stated, "I think that you need this more than we do. Now spill. What has you so out of sorts?"

"I just met the most beautiful woman ever."

"Aaah." Every married man there nodded in understanding.

Clearing his throat, B made the remark, "I'm hoping that it was your girlfriend that you just saw, or you're going to be in big trouble."

When A could only stare at him blankly, Z shook his head with a chuckle. "So what's her name?"

"Schwarz. Gladys Schwarz."

~fin~